Saturday 17 March 2012

blogs and blanquette!

There are numerous blogs describing life in France! Many are quite innovative and entertaining. I am now going to poach an article from 'Living the life at Saint Aignan'...with many thanks & apologies to Ken Broadhurst. In all honesty it's not complete plagiarism, rather the fact that, in googling for a 'blanquette de dinde' recipe, not only was this the best,but also bought in very similar conditions!
Early yesterday morning I popped into Netto...probably the cheapest supermarket in Savigne (give or take Leader Price and Lidl) for a few bits & pieces & found a large pack on the well-stocked meat shelf ( I really should make a habit of this early morning shop!) that was labelled .........
'8 osso bucco & 3 blanquettes'
As stated in the Saint Aignan blog, the price was low ( 3.49 euros per kilo, compared with 2.50 euros...but this is 2012, n0t 2010!)...BARGAIN....I thought...and shoved it in the trolley!
I saw Michel Roux jr. cook 'blanquette de veau' on Saturday Kitchen a couple of years ago and have fancied it ever since, but done nothing about it....as you do! 'Now's my chance' I thought.
This afternoon is the last afternoon of the 6 nations rugby competition. After a week's wonderful spring weather, all has changed. It is dull and grey and very cool without all that lovely sunshine that had me out in the vegetable patch. We've been invited out for supper tonight (which has rather upset Geoff as England don't kick-off until 5.00 pm GMT......which is 6.00pm French time & when we've been asked to turn up for 'aperitifs'!) so I thought I'd check out some recipes as our favourite B&B's come next week & will want to join us 'table d'hote'!
Meg & Harry were our first ever customers for B&B in France. They stayed with us when house-hunting. Then they came back to sign the 'acte de vente'. They've a holiday home about 20 minutes drive away and they stayed with us during the initial renovations. Nowadays they come over to France every summer & stop with us on the first and last night of their visit!
Voila! I thought.... I can cook 'blanquette' or 'osso bucco'...either of which will make a super main course!
I google recipes & started reading them. Then I went & had a look at the tray of meat in the fridge.
Quelle horreur!
How did I miss that word 'DINDE' written in red capital letters at the top of the label! No wonder it was so cheap!
Oh well..'blanquette de veau' will have to wait for another day. I've now studied all the 'blanquette de dinde' and the 'osso bucco..dinde' recipes. I'm sure it will be delicious......and I've found a lovely blog about life in the Loire.
(ps...I didn't really poach Ken's ' blanquette de dinde' article.....but I AM going to use his recipe, and I might just write it out here after I've cooked it! Having written this blog though, with a TV background of Scotland getting the wooden spoon after losing to Italy, I've abandoned all thoughts of cooking & shall now watch Wales beat France & win The Grand Slam 2012.........I hope!)

No comments: